45. (1) At such meeting the persons who have become members by paying their subscriptions for the current year, at least one hour before the opening of the meeting, shall elect a director for each local municipality within the territory of the society, except for town and village municipalities which have not five practical farmers among the members of the society; and, if the number of local municipalities entitled to a representative be less than nine, the members shall elect others to make up that number. One or two auditors shall also be elected.
The Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food may appoint a director for each agricultural society. Such director shall exercise all the rights and shall perform the obligations of the other directors of the society, and shall remain in office during pleasure.
Such director and those appointed by the members of each society shall form the board of directors.
(2) Ten or more subscribers in any local municipality, at least five or whom shall be farmers who have paid their annual subscription for the current year, may, at a meeting called by public notice given at least eight days previous thereto by the mayor or, in his default, by a justice of the peace, and held during the week preceding the general meeting of the society, elect a director to represent the local municipality on the board of directors of the society.
(3) On payment of the amount representing the subscriptions of the voters at such local municipal meeting to the secretary-treasurer of the society, and, on presentation by at least two of such voters to the general meeting, of a certificate from the chairman of such local municipal meeting establishing that such director has been elected thereat, the election of such director shall be confirmed, and no other director shall be appointed for such local municipality.
(4) In order to have a right to vote at such election, or to be elected director, every member must be at least sixteen years of age.
(5) At its first meeting the board of directors shall elect a president, a vice-president and a secretary. The secretary shall not be chosen from amongst the directors, and shall not have a vote.