21. Persons designated by the Minister may impose the monetary administrative penalties provided for in sections 19 and 20.
For the purposes of the first paragraph, the Minister develops and makes public a general framework for applying such administrative penalties in connection with penal proceedings, specifying, in particular, the following elements:
(1) the purpose of the penalties, such as urging the motor vehicle manufacturer to take rapid measures to remedy the failure and deter its repetition;
(2) the categories of functions held by the persons designated to impose penalties;
(3) the criteria that must guide designated persons when a failure to comply has occurred, such as the type of failure, its repetitive nature and the measures taken by the motor vehicle manufacturer to remedy the failure;
(4) the circumstances in which a penal proceeding is deemed to have priority; and
(5) the other procedures connected with such a penalty, such as the fact that it must be preceded by notification of a notice of non-compliance.
The general framework must give the categories of administrative or penal sanctions as defined by the Act or the regulations.
2016, c. 232016, c. 23, s. 21.