C-38 - Companies Act

Full text
76. (Repealed).
R. S. 1964, c. 271, s. 73; 2008, c. 20, s. 158.
76. (1)  Whenever the interest in any shares of the capital stock of the company is transmitted by the death of any shareholder or otherwise, or whenever the ownership of any shares or the legal right of possession of the same changes by any lawful means other than by transfer, according to the provisions of this Part, and the directors of the company entertain reasonable doubts as to the legality of any claim to such shares, the company may make and file in the Superior Court in and for the district in which the head office of the company is situated, a petition in writing, addressed to such court or to one of the judges thereof, setting forth the facts and the number of shares previously belonging to the person in whose name such shares stand in the books of the company, and praying for an order or judgment adjudicating and awarding the said shares to the person or persons legally entitled to the same.
(2)  Notice of the intention to present such petition shall be given to the person claiming such shares, or to the attorney of such person duly authorized for the purpose, who shall, upon the filing of such petition, establish his right to the shares referred to in such petition; and the time to plead and all other proceedings in such cases shall be the same as those observed in analogous cases before the said Superior Court.
(3)  The costs and expenses incurred in procuring such order or judgment shall be paid by the person or persons to whom such shares are declared lawfully to belong, and such shares shall not be transferred in the books of the company until such costs and expenses are paid,—saving the recourse of such person against any person contesting his right to such shares.
(4)  The company shall be guided by the order or judgment of the court establishing the right to such shares. Such order or judgment shall hold the company harmless and indemnified and released from every other claim to the said shares or arising in respect thereof.
R. S. 1964, c. 271, s. 73.