16. Noncommercial advertising visible from a highway, rest area or lookout is permitted within 300 metres thereof only in the following cases and on the following conditions:
(1) where it concerns a festival or any other sports, cultural, religious or patriotic event. The advertising sign must be removed within 15 days after the event. In addition, not more than two signs advertising the same event may be displayed along the same highway in the territory of the same local municipality;
(2) where it concerns an election, a referendum or any other special event designated by the Government. The advertising sign must be removed within 15 days after the event;
(3) where it contains only
(a) the emblem, initials or name of the Church, religious association or charity, club or chamber of commerce by which it is displayed;
(b) a prohibition or warning concerning certain activities on the premises on which it is displayed;
(c) the name of the resident of the place where it is displayed or is an inscription on the mailbox or newspaper box;
(4) where it concerns the protection of the environment, of the forest, or of land or aquatic animal-life;
(5) where, being displayed at the intersection of a highway and a private road, it advertises an enterprise or residence distant from the highway and accessible by that road.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, no advertising sign described in subparagraph 1, 3 or 4 of the first paragraph may be displayed within 300 metres of a highway designated as an autoroute by the Minister by means of the proper signs.
No advertising sign described in this section may be displayed within one metre of the right-of-way of the highway or in a place described in section 6, or exceed the height prescribed in section 15. The construction, erection and maintenance of the display panels must conform to the standards prescribed by regulation.
Any other noncommercial advertising sign is regarded as a commercial advertising sign and is governed by Chapter II.
1988, c. 14, s. 16; 1992, c. 13, s. 3; 1996, c. 2, s. 826.