86. Every municipality may make by-laws to
(1) provide for the organization and equipment of a police force;
(2) prescribe the duties and powers of the members of the police force;
(3) determine the places where the police officers may have their residence;
(4) establish classes of police officers and the ranks that may be conferred upon them;
(5) prescribe the inspections to which police officers must submit.
The by-laws apply subject to the other provisions of this Act and the government regulations made under its authority.
A by-law made under this section must be transmitted to the Minister by the clerk or secretary-treasurer of the municipality concerned within 15 days of coming into force.