78. An agreement entered into under section 76 shall be implemented by a public security committee composed of
(1) four to seven persons chosen from among the members of the councils of the local municipalities to which the agreement applies in the case of an agreement with a regional county municipality or chosen from among the members of the council of the local municipality in the case of an agreement with a local municipality ; the latter shall be designated respectively by the regional county municipality or the local municipality ;
(2) two representatives of the Sûreté du Québec, who are not entitled to vote, including the director of the police station.
The director of the police station shall be designated after consultation with the persons referred in subparagraph 1.
The members of the committee shall select a chair from among the persons referred to in subparagraph 1 of the first paragraph. The chair is appointed for one year.
The committee shall hold not less than one meeting every two months, which shall be called by the chair. It shall oversee the implementation of the agreement, assess the services provided and, on an annual basis, establish priorities for the police force. It shall inform the parties of the results of its work and report to them at least once a year.
The committee shall, in addition to the responsibilities entrusted to it under the agreement,
(1) participate in the preparation of the semi-annual plan of action of the Sûreté du Québec in the territory covered by the agreement, according to the priorities identified, and make an assessment thereof ;
(2) approve the police resources organization plan ;
(3) participate in the selection of the location of the police station or stations on the basis of public security requirements, police service effectiveness and government policy on the leasing or acquisition of buildings ;
(4) develop criteria for evaluating the performance of the Sûreté du Québec within the framework of the agreement and, where the committee considers it appropriate, inform the police station chief on the citizens’ appreciation of the police services they receive ;
(5) evaluate the performance of the police station chief.
The committee shall be informed in advance of any intervention by the Sûreté du Québec likely to affect the resources assigned to the territory covered by the agreement.
In addition, the committee may make such recommendations as it considers relevant to the Sûreté du Québec and advise the Minister on the work organization or training needs of police officers and on any other question relating to the police services provided for in the agreement.
2000, c. 12, s. 78; 2001, c. 19, s. 7, s. 15; 2008, c. 10, s. 11.