17.5.3. The functions and powers of the Minister are, more particularly,
(1) to increase the effectiveness of initiatives aimed at stimulating local and regional development by promoting the harmonization, simplification and accessibility of support services for local and regional development;
(2) to ensure that government action to support local and regional development is coherent and concordant by taking part in the development of related measures and ministerial decisions and giving an opinion whenever appropriate;
(3) to frame, coordinate and implement, in collaboration with any other government department concerned, regional development strategies and assistance programs, particularly for municipalities or territories with specific problems;
(4) to be responsible, in conjunction with recognized local and regional authorities, for the funds made available to such authorities and administer the other sums entrusted to the Minister for the carrying out of local or regional development projects;
(5) to provide financial and technical support for action promoting local and regional development, subject to the conditions determined by the Minister under government guidelines and policies; and
(6) to facilitate the development and signing of agreements, particularly between regional conferences of elected officers and government departments and bodies.