268. The expenses of the Community, except expenses relating to a service governed by a special tariff or those or which the apportionment is otherwise fixed by law, shall be apportioned among the municipalities in proportion to their respective fiscal potentials.
For the purposes of the first paragraph, when an expense to be apportioned in proportion to the fiscal potential of the municipalities is related to a water purification, drinking water supply or waste disposal, recovery and recycling service, only the municipalities served are bound to pay for the expense.
The Council shall establish by by-law the rules respecting the terms and conditions of payment of the share of those expenses, including those relating to a service governed by a special tariff and those the apportionment of which is otherwise fixed by law, for the fiscal period contemplated in the budget.
The by-law may, in particular, prescribe for every situation contemplated in section 135 or 137,
(1) the prescribed time for determining each share and informing the municipalities of it;
(2) the prescribed time for payment of the share or the dates when the instalments granted to pay it are due;
(3) the rate of interest payable on each share or instalment outstanding;
(4) the adjustments that may arise from the deferred adoption of all or part of the budget or the successive use of provisional and final date in the computation of the fiscal potential of a municipality;
(5) the date on which the data used to establish provisionally or finally the fiscal potential of a municipality are to be considered.
Instead of fixing the rate of interest on a share or an instalment outstanding, the by-law provide that such rate be fixed by resolution of the Council when its budget is examined.
For the purposes of this section, the words “fiscal potential” have the meaning assigned to them in the second paragraph of section 193.
1969, c. 85, s. 328; 1979, c. 72, s. 441; 1982, c. 2, s. 119; 1983, c. 29, s. 71; 1984, c. 32, s. 34.