456. The council may make by-laws:
(1) To permit, under such conditions and restrictions as it may impose, the track of any street railway to be laid in the territory of the municipality;
(2) To regulate the number of passengers to be carried in each car or vehicle used by the company operating such street railway;
(3) To regulate the condition in which the cars are to be kept;
(4) To regulate the use of locomotives, and of steam or other motive power on any street railway in the territory of the municipality;
(5) To prescribe and regulate the speed of the cars;
(6) To prescribe fines, not to exceed $400, upon the company managing any such railway, or any of its servants, for each violation of any of the by-laws passed in virtue of this section.