61. Subject to the special rules in the first paragraph of section 83.3 that apply to the conversion of claims into map designated claims, the first term of a claim expires three years after the claim is registered.
The Minister shall renew the claim for a term of two years provided the claim holder
(1) has applied for the renewal of the claim before its date of expiry. An application for renewal must be filed using the form supplied by the Minister and must contain the information determined by regulation;
(2) has paid the fee prescribed by regulation;
(3) has complied with this Act and the regulations throughout the previous term of the claim and, in particular, has performed and reported on the work required under section 72;
(4) has met any other renewal requirement prescribed by regulation.
A claim registered in favour of the State remains in force for the period and on the conditions determined by the Minister, who may dispose of it for the price and subject to the conditions determined by the Government.
If all or part of a claim lies within a mining-incompatible territory, it may only be renewed if work is performed on the claim during any term occurring after the delimitation of that territory.
1987, c. 64, s. 61; 1999, c. 40, s. 178; 1998, c. 24, s. 32; 2003, c. 15, s. 16; 2013, c. 32, s. 28; 2021, c. 35, s. 5211.