15. Descriptive files shall be opened for the following road vehicles, where the description complies with section 20 and the road vehicle is provided with an identification number affixed in accordance with section 210 of the Highway Safety Code (chapter C-24.2):
(1) a passenger vehicle;
(2) a motorcycle;
(3) a taxi;
(4) an emergency vehicle;
(5) a bus;
(6) a minibus;
(7) a commercial vehicle;
(8) a trailer or semi-trailer whose net weight exceeds 900 kg;
(9) a motor home;
(10) a snowmobile of a model year more recent than 1988;
(11) a motorized all-terrain vehicle equipped with handlebars and at least 2 wheels, that is designed to be straddled and whose net weight does not exceed 600 kg.
For the purposes of the first paragraph,
(1) the road vehicles listed in subparagraphs 1 to 7 are those defined in section 4 of the Highway Safety Code; and
(2) the road vehicles listed in subparagraphs 8 to 10 are those defined in section 2 of the Regulation respecting road vehicle registration (chapter C-24.2, r. 29).
A descriptive file shall be opened for a road vehicle included in one of the classes referred to in subparagraphs 1 and 3 to 9 of the first paragraph only where the vehicle’s identification number has 17 characters and has been validated by the registrar using the control algorithm.
O.C. 1594-93, s. 15; O.C. 444-98, s. 5; O.C. 907-99, s. 1.