12. To be authorized, an automobile must, in addition to meeting the conditions set out in section 20 of the Act,
(1) be of the sedan or station wagon type;
(2) have a wheelbase of at least 261 cm or, in the case of a low-emission automobile, at least 256 cm;
(3) be equipped by the manufacturer with at least 4 safety belts;
(4) be equipped with a seat belt extender compatible with the automobile’s seat belts;
(5) have a solid roof;
(6) be not more than 10 years old, by model year; and
(7) have at least 4 side doors.
The following automobiles may also be authorized if they meet the requirements in subparagraphs 2 to 6 of the first paragraph, and if they are equipped by the manufacturer to transport a maximum of 9 persons and if their net weight is under 3,500 kg:
(1) a van with a running board and 3 or 4 side doors, each with its own window;
(2) a utility vehicle with 3 or 4 side doors.
Despite the second paragraph, an adapted automobile equipped with a wheelchair lift may have a net weight of up to 4,000 kg.
A limousine equipped by the manufacturer to transport a maximum of 9 persons, corresponding to the most luxurious make marketed by its manufacturer at the time, having a wheelbase of more than 280 cm and a net weight under 4,000 kg may also be authorized if it meets the requirements in subparagraphs 3 to 7 of the first paragraph.
O.C. 1046-2020, s. 12; I.N. 2021-02-01.