26. The operator of a category 2, 3 or 4 private seniors’ residence must implement, for staff members, a procedure regarding the medications prescribed to residents to whom the medication distribution or administration services are provided, including
(1) the measures to be taken upon the arrival and departure of a resident to whom medications have been prescribed;
(2) the storage, conservation, distribution or administration measures for medications prescribed to residents; and
(3) measures for the management of outdated medications or medications no longer needed by residents;
(4) the measures providing specific conditions during the distribution or administration of medications prescribed individually to be used as required or prescribed by group prescription, where the residence has the staff authorized to distribute or administer such medications under the applicable legislative or regulatory provisions respecting professional activities.
The operator must designate, from among the staff members, a person in charge of the application of the procedure provided for in the first paragraph.
The person in charge must establish a list of the persons authorized to distribute and administer medications during each work shift. The person in charge must also make sure
(1) that the authorized person distributing or administering a medication verifies the resident’s identity and ensures that the medications given or administered are in fact intended for the resident;
(2) that the medications prescribed to each resident are clearly identified and stored in a placed under lock and key and, if required, refrigerated; and
(3) that an incident or accident in relation to the distribution or administration of a medication to a resident be reported in the register of incidents and accidents referred to in section 50.