14. The variable parameters to be considered are
(1) the dam age, which is the number of years since its construction or, as the case may be, as determined by the engineer in charge of the safety review on the basis of the useful life of the dam;
(2) the seismic zone in which the dam is located according to the seismic zone map in Schedule I;
(3) the dam condition, which is assessed by considering the physical state and structural condition of the dam, the quality and effectiveness of maintenance, aging, possible effects of external factors such as frost or earthquakes and any dam design or structural defects. At the completion of the assessment, the dam condition is rated “very good”, “good”, “acceptable”, “poor” or “undetermined”; and
(4) the reliability of the discharge facilities of the dam, which must be capable of passing the inflow design flood. The reliability is assessed on the basis of the design of the discharge facilities and the procedures established by the owner to ensure that they operate effectively during floods. At the completion of the assessment, the reliability of the discharge facilities is rated “satisfactory”, “acceptable”, “unsatisfactory” or “undetermined”.