6. An employer must prepare and affix a workplace label on a hazardous product if
(1) the employer wishes to use or handle such a product that the employer obtained from a supplier and that does not have a supplier’s label when such a label is required under the Hazardous Products Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-3) and the Hazardous Products Regulations (SOR/2015-17);
(2) the product is referred to in section 5.2(a) of the Hazardous Products Regulations and obtained from a supplier and the label affixed on the inside container is no longer visible through the outer container; in such a case, the workplace label must be affixed on the outer container of the product;
(3) the product is referred to in section 5.2(b) of the Hazardous Products Regulations and obtained from a supplier but does not have a supplier’s label, and is removed from its outer container having a label that meets the requirements of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (SOR/2001 286);
(4) the employer receives the product from a supplier in bulk form or without packaging; or
(5) the employer manufactures such a product, including a product referred to in subparagraph 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 or 8 of the second paragraph of section 3, in the workplace.
In the case described in subparagraph 1 of the first paragraph, the employer may only, in accordance with section 62.1 of the Act, store the product. The employer must then display a sign that contains the same information as the workplace label and that meets the signage and sign maintenance requirements set out in section 25, until the employer affixes a label obtained from the supplier or a workplace label on the product.
In the case of a product in bulk form or without packaging, the employer must affix a sign that contains the same information as that required on the workplace label. Such a sign must meet the signage and sign maintenance requirements set out in section 25.
In the case described in subparagraph 5 of the first paragraph, the employer may replace the workplace label by a sign that contains the same information. If the product is a manufactured product intended for sale, a sign is not required if the product has a supplier’s label that is visible under normal handling and storage conditions.