15. The operator of municipal wastewater treatment works must notify the Minister where one of the following events occurs:
(1) the discharge of the effluent elsewhere than at the final point of discharge of the outfall;
(1.1) a diversion or an overflow elsewhere than from an overflow point or diversion point;
(2) equipment shutdown or failure having an impact on the quality of discharges or on the frequency or volume of overflows or diversions;
(3) a diverting or an overflow required so that work may be performed to alter, repair or maintain the works;
(4) a diversion or an overflow other than from an overflow point or a diversion point.
The notice must contain
(1) the date and time corresponding to the beginning of the event;
(2) the location of the discharge, overflow or diversion by indicating in particular its geographical coordinates;
(3) in the case of planned work, the reasons why it is impossible to carry out the work without any overflow, diversion or discharge elsewhere than at the final discharge point of the outfall;
(4) the uses of the receiving environment that could be affected;
(5) the real or estimated volumes of wastewater that are discharged, overflowed or diverted;
(6) the measures taken or planned by the operator to limit the discharge, overflow or diversion and minimize the effects of the event;
(7) the estimated date of the end of the event;
(8) the cleaning measures that will be set up after the event; and
(9) the measures set up to communicate to the public the information relating to a planned event.
In the cases provided for in subparagraphs 1, 1.1, 2 and 4 of the first paragraph, the notice is sent to the Minister without delay. It may be a written or verbal notice. In the latter case, the operator must send a written copy of the notice within 48 hours following the verbal notice. In the case provided for in subparagraph 1 of the first paragraph, where the discharge will result in work for the alteration, repair or maintenance of the works, the notice is sent in accordance with the fourth paragraph.
In the case referred to in subparagraph 3 of the first paragraph, the notice is sent to the Minister 45 days before the planned event. The notice must be in writing.
All written notices referred to in this section must be sent electronically.
In all cases, the operator must comply, without delay, with the measures planned to minimize or eliminate the effects of the events referred to in subparagraphs 1 to 4 of the first paragraph and notify the Minister as soon as the event has ended.
O.C. 1305-2013, s. 15; O.C. 870-2020, s. 611.