8.9. The amount of the annual compensation owed to the municipalities that is allotted to the newspapers class may not exceed,
(1) for the year 2010: $2,660,000;
(2) for the years 2011 and 2012: $3,040,000;
(3) for the year 2013: $6,460,000;
(4) for the year 2014: $6,840,000; and
(5) for the year 2015: $7,600,000.
For each of the subsequent years, the amount of the annual compensation may not exceed the amount set in subparagraph 5 of the first paragraph, increased by 10% annually, until, for a given year, that amount is equal to or greater than the amount corresponding to the share of the compensation allotted to that class of materials under the first paragraph of section 53.31.5 of the Environment Quality Act (chapter Q-2), in which case this section ceases to apply.