28.1. The operator shall ensure that every heavy vehicle under the operator’s responsibility is equipped with an electronic logging device that meets the requirements of the Technical Standard, except in the case of
(1) a vehicle that is the subject of a rental agreement of not longer than 30 days that is not an extended or renewed rental of the same heavy vehicle;
(2) a vehicle manufactured before model year 2000;
(3) a vehicle driven to be delivered
(a) to an owner’s home terminal following the transfer of the right of ownership;
(b) to a lessee;
(c) to a lessor during a rental agreement or when it expires; or
(d) to a branch of a vehicle rental enterprise for an inventory adjustment; or
(4) a vehicle driven within 5 days of its delivery following the transfer of the right of ownership;
(5) a new vehicle driven to be delivered to an enterprise in order to complete its manufacture or make it comply with the use for which it is essentially intended, or driven to be returned to an owner following such an operation;
(6) a vehicle driven within a radius of 160 km of the driver’s home terminal and the driver returns to the home terminal each day to begin a minimum of 8 consecutive hours of rest or to begin a minimum of 6 consecutive hours of rest in the situation described in subparagraph 2 of the first paragraph of section 19.
A vehicle referred to in subparagraph 3 or 4 of the first paragraph may not be hitched or loaded. A vehicle referred to in subparagraph 3 of the first paragraph may transport one or more vehicles by means of the saddle-mount method if the vehicles are part of the delivery.
A vehicle referred to in subparagraph 6 of the first paragraph does not cease to be exempted for the sole reason that the driver is unable to return to the home terminal on the same day because of adverse driving conditions.
77-2023O.C. 77-2023, s. 111; I.N. 2023-03-01.