16. A driver who is driving a heavy vehicle fitted with a sleeper berth may meet the mandatory hours of rest and daily hours of rest requirements of sections 9 and 13 by accumulating hours of rest in no more than 2 periods if
(1) neither period of rest is shorter than 2 hours;
(2) the total of the 2 periods of rest is at least 10 hours;
(3) the rest is spent resting in the sleeper berth;
(4) the total of the hours of driving in the periods immediately before and after each of the periods of rest does not exceed 13 hours;
(5) no hours of driving are worked after the driver has accumulated 14 hours of service in the periods immediately before and after each period of rest;
(6) the elapsed time in the periods immediately before and after each of the periods of rest does not include any driving time after the 16th hour after the driver comes on-duty; and
(7) none of the daily rest is deferred to the next day.
No operator shall request, require or allow a driver to begin to drive again and no driver shall begin to drive again in accordance with the requirements of sections 9 and 13 without first taking at least 8 consecutive hours of rest.