235. Every school service centre shall adopt, after consultation with the advisory committee on services for handicapped students and students with social maladjustments or learning disabilities, a policy concerning the organization of educational services for such students to ensure the harmonious integration of each such student into a regular class or group and into school activities if it has been established on the basis of the evaluation of the student’s abilities and needs that such integration would facilitate the student’s learning and social integration and would not impose an excessive constraint or significantly undermine the rights of the other students.
The policy shall include
(1) procedures for evaluating handicapped students and students with social maladjustments or learning disabilities; such procedures shall provide for the participation of the parents of the students and of the students themselves, unless they are unable to do so;
(2) methods for integrating those students into regular classes or groups and into regular school activities as well as the support services required for their integration and, if need be, the weighting required to determine the maximum number of students per class or group;
(3) terms and conditions for grouping those students in specialized schools, classes or groups;
(4) methods for preparing and evaluating the individualized education plans intended for such students.
Specialized schools referred to in subparagraph 3 of the second paragraph are not schools established under section 240.
1988, c. 84, s. 235; 1990, c. 78, s. 40; 1997, c. 96, s. 73; 2020, c. 1, s. 3121.