(1) Facilities for dispensing gasoline shall not be installed in any building.
(2) An inspection or repair garage for motor vehicles shall be separated from the rest of the building by a fire separation with a fire-resistance rating of at least 1 1/2 hours. The separation shall have no openings where the adjacent premises are sleeping accommodations or have high occupant loads.
(3) A storage garage shall be separated from the rest of the building by a fire separation with a fire-resistance rating of at least 1 1/2 hours.
(4) When there is a means to circulate from a storage garage to a stairway or to an elevator serving the premises situated above the level of the storage garage, intercommunication shall be effected through a vestibule. This intercommunication shall:
(a) be built in such a way that the access door to the vestibule from the storage garage is at least 1.8 m away, measured center to center of the closed doors, from the stairway door;
(b) be ventilated;
(c) be provided with access doors equipped with self-closing devices; and
(d) (subparagraph revoked).
(5) In a storage garage in a public building, the average concentration of carbon monoxide in the air must be limited to 110 mg per cubic metre for a period of not more than 1 continuous hour and to 440 mg per cubic metre for a consecutive period of at most 15 minutes.
For this purpose, storage garages shall have a mechanical ventilation system designed to change the air at a rate of at least 14 m3 of air per hour for each square metre of floor area. This system must have an automatic ventilating fan controlled by means of a carbon monoxide monitoring device.
The ventilating system provided for in the second paragraph is not necessary in the case:
(a) of a storage garage when:
i. at least 25% of the total area of perimeter walls on each storey is open to the outdoors, and not obstructed at any time, and distributed to provide cross ventilation; and
ii. no portion of any floor of the garage is more than 1 m below grade;
(b) of a storage garage when:
i. the total capacity is less than 20 vehicles; and
ii. the floor is situated above the outside ground level.
(6) Openings in the floor and the floor edges of open garages shall be surrounded by a low wall at least 150 mm high and by a guardrail at least 1,100 mm high.
(7) The floor and the floor finish shall be of non-combustible materials. However, the finish on these floors may be of an asphalt compound.
(8) (Paragraph revoked).
(9) Stairs leading to the roof of a storage garage shall be protected from ice and snow.
(10) A storage garage in a public building must be air tight in order to prevent exhaust fumes from automobiles from filtering into adjacent areas.