(Replaced, O.C. 501-2011)
SCALE FOR THE MEASUREMENT OF THE OPACITY OF GRAY OR BLACK EMISSIONS INTO THE ATMOSPHERE
No. 1 No. 2 No. 3 No. 4
MINISTÈRE DE L’ENVIRONNEMENT
GOUVERNEMENT DU QUÉBEC
(1) Select an observation point situated at more than 30 m and less than 400 m from the source of emission.
(2) Avoid looking towards bright sunlight and select an observation angle free of dark objects in the background.
(3) Hold the chart at arm’s length and look at the emission through the slip.
(4) Record the scale number corresponding to the opacity, including the number 0 corresponding to white over white.
(5) To calculate the opacity of an emission record the numbered shades on the scale and use the following formula:
P = NEU at opacity No. 1 X 20 %
number of observations
where P designates the percentage of opacity of the emissions and NEU designates the number of equivalent units.
The number of each numbered shade constitutes as many equivalent units.
(6) Only one observation is enough for the enforcement of section 10.