1.01. In this Decree, unless the context requires otherwise, the following expressions mean:
(1) “artisan”: person working on his own account alone or in partnership and who performs work governed by the Decree for others;
(2) “parts clerk”: employee whose duties are related mainly to distributing or selling vehicle parts, accessories or tires where such parts, accessories or tires are distributed or sold to garages, service stations, parts shops, new or used car dealers and to any establishment whose activities are governed by the Decree or where such parts, accessories or tires are used by those establishments when performing work governed by the Decree;
(3) “messenger”: employee working in an establishment where the work governed by the Decree is performed, whose duties consist mainly in delivering vehicle parts, accessories or tires;
(4) “journeyman”: employee who duties are related mainly to maintenance, tests, inspections, repairs, changes or other work of the same type, necessary or useful to keep a vehicle in good working order, and who has been qualified by the parity committee for one or more of the trades related to the automobile industry;
(5) “spouse”: means either of 2 persons who:
(a) are married or in a civil union and cohabiting;
(b) being of opposite sex or the same sex, are living together in a de facto union and are the father and mother of the same child;
(c) are of opposite sex or the same sex and have been living together in a de facto union for 1 year or more;
(6) “dismantler”: employee whose duties are related mainly to dismantling a vehicle for the purposes of selling or storing the parts;
(7) “combination of road vehicles”: a combination of vehicles composed of a motorized heavy road vehicle hauling a trailer, a semi-trailer or a detachable axle;
(8) “washer”: employee whose duties are related mainly to one or another of the following tasks: washing, cleaning, wiping or waxing vehicles or their parts, by hand or with machines and, as a subtask, the transportation of customers;
(9) “semiskilled worker”: employee whose duties are related mainly to one or another of the following tasks:
(a) restoring, overhauling, repairing or retooling vehicle parts or accessories without assembling them on the vehicle, and examining parts or accessories sold with guarantees, whether or not they are installed on a vehicle, where they are returned because of a defect;
(b) installing upholstery, hubcaps, windshields or windows;
(10) “pump attendant”: employee whose duties are related mainly to the sale of gasoline or lubricants and to the supervision of pumps;
(11) “service attendant”: employee whose duties are related mainly to one or another of the following tasks: inspection or visual inspection only, lubricating, changing oil, applying anti-rust, balancing wheels, installing, repairing, installing or dismantling radiators and their hoses, shock absorbers, tires, windshield wipers, headlights, filters, exhaust systems with the exception of exhaust pipes, the installation and dismantling of audio systems and installing or boosting batteries on a vehicle. He may also change all fluids except for the air conditioning system. He may also do road tests in order to verify the work he has done.
A service attendant may perform the duties mentioned in the preceding paragraph only insofar as those duties do not require him to handle other parts or other components on a vehicle system. He may also do the work of the washer to complete his duties.
(12) “uninterrupted service”: the uninterrupted period during which the employee is bound to the employer by a contract of employment, even if the performance of work has been interrupted without cancellation of the contract, and the period during which fixed-term contracts succeed one another without an interruption that would, in the circumstances, give cause to conclude that the contract was not renewed;
(13) “vehicle”: a combination of road vehicles and a heavy road vehicle within the meaning of this Decree as well as a motor vehicle and a road vehicle as defined in section 4 of the Highway Safety Code (chapter C-24.2), excluding mopeds and motorcycles as defined in section 4 of the Code, an all-terrain vehicle as defined in section 1 of the Regulation respecting all-terrain vehicles (chapter V-1.2, r. 6), a snowmobile as defined in section 1 of the Regulation respecting snowmobiles (chapter V-1.2, r. 1) and any other vehicle intended to be used off public roads owing to its nature, purpose or the operation of a law;
(14) “heavy road vehicle”: a road vehicle whose net mass is 4,500 kg or more.