In force: 2020-12-30
21. In areas other than those referred to in section 16, a minor under 18 years of age is authorized to operate an off-highway vehicle only if the following conditions and supervision requirements are complied with:
(1) one of the parents of the minor or the person having legal custody of the minor authorizes the minor to do so; and
(2) the minor is accompanied by a person of full age authorized to operate an off-highway vehicle who must travel sufficiently close to the minor to be able to come to the minor’s assistance rapidly in case of an accident or difficulties; such accompaniment is not, however, required if the minor travels only on the property of the minor’s parents, of a person having legal custody of the minor or of a member of the minor’s family.
This section does not apply to a minor who is the holder of the licence and training certificate required by this Act.
With respect to the operation of an off-highway vehicle by a minor on Category I lands on the territories described in the agreements referred to in section 1 of the Act approving the Agreement concerning James Bay and Northern Québec (chapter C-67) and section 1 of the Act approving the Northeastern Québec Agreement (chapter C-67.1) and on lands in Indian reserves,
(1) operation on the property of the minor’s parents, the property of the person having legal custody of the minor and the property of a member of the minor’s family means operation in their area of residence; and
(2) operation elsewhere than on the property of such persons means, as the case may be, operation elsewhere on Category I lands of the minor’s community or elsewhere on lands included in the reserve.