70. The territory of a local municipality must be under the jurisdiction of a police force.
A municipal police force must provide, in the territory under its jurisdiction,
(1) level 1 services, if the population to be served is less than 100,000 inhabitants;
(2) level 2 services, if the population to be served is 100,000 or more and not more than 249,999 inhabitants;
(3) level 3 services, if the population to be served is 250,000 or more and not more than 499,999 inhabitants;
(4) level 4 services, if the population to be served is 500,000 or more and not more than 999,999 inhabitants; or
(5) level 5 services, if the population to be served is 1,000,000 inhabitants or more.
The Sûreté du Québec shall provide level 6 services.
The Sûreté du Québec shall provide the services corresponding to a level higher than the level required of a municipal police force, unless the Minister authorizes the municipal police force to provide the services corresponding to other levels determined by the Minister. Police forces shall work in collaboration in the exercise of their respective jurisdictions.
Notwithstanding the obligation imposed on a police force to provide all the services corresponding to its level of jurisdiction, any investigation concerning a police officer against whom an allegation of criminal offence has been made may be entrusted to another police force empowered to provide the services corresponding to the level required by the investigation.
Without prejudice to that obligation, the municipalities may enter into agreements with each other, for a maximum period of 10 years, concerning
(1) the joint use of equipment, premises or space;
(2) the provision of detention services, transportation services for accused persons or police dispatching services; or
(3) the sharing of any support services or emergency measures determined by the Minister.
The agreements and their termination before their expiry date must be approved by the Minister.
The municipalities may also conclude such agreements with the Minister of Public Security, to be applicable to the Sûreté du Québec.
2000, c. 12, s. 70; 2001, c. 19, s. 2; 2008, c. 10, s. 8; 2012, c. 13, s. 1.