15.4.38. The Fund for the Protection of the Environment and the Waters in the Domain of the State is established.
The Fund is dedicated to the financing of any measure the Minister may carry out within the scope of his functions, in particular as regards
(1) control and assessment carried out under any Act or regulation under the Minister’s administration;
(2) regulation of activities by an Act or regulation under the Minister’s administration through, among other things, the implementation of an authorization scheme, in particular with regard to water resources, pesticides, hazardous materials, industrial establishments and dams;
(3) conservation of wetlands and bodies of water;
(4) conservation of the natural heritage;
(5) management of the waters in the domain of the State and of public dams; and
(6) accreditation and certification of persons and groups of persons.
The Fund is to be used, in particular, to finance activities, projects and programs aimed at stimulating technical innovation, research and development, knowledge acquisition, performance improvement, and public awareness and education with regard to any matter mentioned in the second paragraph.
The Fund is intended, in particular, to provide financial support to municipalities and to non-profit bodies working in the environmental field.