18. The Minister may authorize the constitution as a legal person of a regional service centre for public libraries and apply to the Inspector General of Financial Institutions for the issue of letters patent under Part III of the Companies Act (chapter C-38) where the centre pursues all of the following objects:
(1) the establishment, maintenance and development of collections of published documents, document processing services and any other professional or technical service relating to the operation of a public library;
(2) the conclusion of contracts for document services and professional or technical services relating to the operation of a public library;
(3) the fostering of pooling of resources, exchanges between public libraries and cooperation with any library or interested body or agency;
(4) the promotion of any other activity related to the operation of a public library;
(5) the encouragement and support of training, information, organization and cultural development programs that are compatible with the objects mentioned in subparagraphs 1 to 4.
In addition, a regional centre may have any other object not incompatible with the objects mentioned in the first paragraph.
1992, c. 65, s. 18; 1999, c. 40, s. 183.