135. The budget of the Community and the budget of the Transit Commission shall be submitted to the Council not later than 15 November at a special meeting called for such purpose.
Such meeting shall be adjourned as often as necessary and shall not be closed until the budgets have been adopted. If there is not a quorum, the meeting shall be automatically adjourned to eight o’clock in the evening on the following juridical day.
The Council may, on its own motion, amend the budgets.
The Council is not bound to adopt simultaneously all the appropriations of the budget and thus may adopt every appropriation separately.
The Council may also, before 1 January, adopt temporarily, for a period of three months, one-quarter of every appropriation provided for in the budget. The same applies before each period beginning 1 April, 1 July and 1 October. The Council may thus adopt at the same time
(1) three-quarters of every appropriation if it does so before 1 April; and
(2) one-half of every appropriation, if it does so before 1 July.
If, on 1 January, the budget of the Community or of the Transit Commission has not been adopted, one-quarter of each of the appropriations provided for in the budget of the preceding fiscal year, with the exception of those mentioned in the seventh paragraph, is deemed adopted and shall come into force. The same applies on 1 April, 1 July and 1 October if on each of those dates the budget has not been adopted.
The presumption of adoption and the coming into force provided for in the sixth paragraph do not apply to the appropriations provided for in the budget for the preceding fiscal year, which correspond
(1) to those mentioned in the certificate of the treasurer contemplated in section 134;
(2) to those then adopted separately under the fourth paragraph; and
(3) to those one-quarter of which has then been adopted under the fifth paragraph for the same period of three months.
In the hypothesis mentioned in the sixth paragraph, the appropriations mentioned in the certificate of the treasurer contemplated in section 134 and included in the budget that is being studied are deemed to be adopted on 1 January and shall then come into force.
The adoption, after 1 January, of the budget or one of its appropriations in accordance with the fourth paragraph is retroactive to that date. The same rule applies to the by-laws and resolutions arising therefrom.
A certified copy of the budget of the Community and of the Transit Commission shall be transmitted to the Minister within thirty days of its adoption.
1969, c. 85, s. 173; 1977, c. 5, s. 14; 1983, c. 29, s. 47; 1984, c. 38, s. 96.