300. (1) Whenever it appears to the court or judge trying an election petition that any person has infringed any of the provisions of this division, such court or judge may order that such person shall be summoned to appear before such court or judge, at the place, day and hour fixed in such summons for hearing the charge.
(2) If, on the day so fixed by the summons, the person summoned does not appear, he shall be condemned, on the evidence already adduced on the trial of the election petition, to pay such fine as he is liable to pay for such infringement.
(3) If, on the day so fixed, the person summoned does appear, the court or judge, after hearing such person and such evidence as is adduced, shall give such judgment as to law and justice appertains.
(4) No fine shall be imposed under this section if it appear to the court or judge that the person has already been proceeded against and convicted or acquitted with respect to the same offence.
(5) Nor shall any such fine or penalty be imposed for any offence proved only by the evidence or admission of the person committing it.
(6) All fines recovered under this section shall belong to the municipality.