9. A person who wishes to perform the duties of a job essential for rail safety must fulfil the following conditions of admission:
(1) he must take an academic training period provided by the operator that shall allow him to learn the rail safety rules related to the exercise of his duties and those provided for in this Regulation;
(2) he must take an apprenticeship period provided by the operator that shall allow him to master the job’s requirements;
(3) he must learn where derails, switches and their locking devices are located;
(4) he must pass an examination on the knowledge he has acquired during the training and the apprenticeship period.
The operator must give the person or record in the file, after he has passed the examination, the certificate of qualification referred to in section 8 bearing, besides the name of the employee, the jobs recognized by the certificate of qualification, the date of the examination and the expiry date of the certificate.
The operator may not appoint a person in a job essential for rail safety if the person is not qualified, except in the case of an apprentice under the immediate supervision of a holder of the required certificate. He is also forbidden to keep a person in a job essential for rail safety if the last examination the person has passed dates back more than 5 years.