S-3.3, r. 2 - Regulation respecting rail safety
66. Any 11.88 m (39 ft.) segment shall have 5 evenly spread crossties; they shall not be:
(1) broken through;
(2) split or otherwise impaired to the extent the crossties will allow the ballast to work through, or will not hold spikes or rail fasteners;
(3) so deteriorated that the tie plate or base of rail can move laterally more than 1.27 cm (1/2 in.) related to the crosstie;
(4) cut by the tie plate through more than 40% of a tie’s thickness; and
(5) damaged by derailment, components lying about or fire so that the ties cannot ensure maintenance of the track surface, gauge or alignment.